Saturday, July 12, 2008

HEARTBREAKER


There are many things you see in Haiti that break your heart. This child was one for me. This picture was taken in front of the Nehemiah Christian Academy in Chambrun, Haiti. You see pictures of kid like these but seeing him with my own eyes was difficult. He had the biggest smile too. I dont think he cared how dirty he was or that he only had a holey filthy t-shirt to wear. I know he cared that his belly was empty.
This child does not attend our school. Right now the school is full but we have almost completed a bigger school and will be able to add more children. It is possible that his parents just do not want to send him to school right now or cant for some reason do so. My hope is that all the children will be able to attend one day. We are able to give the kids a meal every day too which he is obviously in need of.
Seeing children hungry and in pain is the hardest part about Haiti for me. Its not the smell or the dirt and trash everywhere or animals running all over. Its the childrens faces and beautiful eyes when they look at you and smile and you know you are going back to your comfy existance.
You can visit the Nehemiah Vision Ministries website for lots more pictures and info about Chambrun, Haiti and what we are doing there. The link is on my blog. I am in the process of coordinating the next medical clinic/mission trip there in October. I am thankful that God has given me resources and medical training to be able to help there.
Lots more to come about Nehemiah Vision Ministries and the people in the community.
Steph

No comments: