Saturday, February 27, 2010

I think I might be in the wrong "field" sometimes?

I really needed this devotional the other day when it came over my phone. I was just thinking about the stress and how difficult something in my life has been lately and here it was. With Jesus things should be light if we are where he wants us to be. Not a burden. Not that things are going to be easy all the time I understand that. Maybe Im not in the right yolk at all and trying to do it on my own? Maybe Im in the wrong "field", there are so many I see in front of me sometimes. Praying that God shows me where Im supposed to be and/or the burden or stress will lighten, or to make me rely on Him to help me more and I am not doing things on my own. So confusing sometimes! Anyways here it is (maybe someone else needs to hear it today)


Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV) 28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."


Has life worn you out? Tired of trying to get it all done? Tired of trying to please God, feed your family, help a friend, and take care of the million little demanding details that life can be full of? Go to Jesus! He will give you rest. Take His yoke upon you and learn from Him.
Yokes are usually for a tandem pair of oxen. Younger oxen would often plow with the older experienced ones. Imagine yoking up with Jesus. Talk about experience! He went through it all without sin. He can teach you how to plow through life. Yoked to Him, you will learn from Him. He is gentle and humble in heart. No better qualities could you find in a teacher. He won't get on your case because you didn't get it right the first time. He gently instructs and directs. Learning from Him is a place of rest for your soul. That means your thoughts, emotions, and impending decisions can all rest in His perfect instruction.
Yoked together with Jesus you will see that God has it all under control. He teaches us to trust in the Father and act at His leading. When we do that, everything comes out best in the long run. We can trust in His wonderful knowledge about all things and His power to do anything. That makes the yoke feel light and the load we pull easy. He plowed this path before us and broke up the soil we could never have pulled the plow through. Now we pull the plow through the furrow that He already plowed for us. Just stay in the yoke with Him. Don't go trying to plow another field in another yoke. You'll find that without Him, you can do nothing. The yoke will be unbearably heavy and the burden unmovable. Which yoke are you under? Which burden are you pulling?

Steph

No comments: