Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Jerica




I was able to visit with Jerica the tiny baby we had helped in the last clinic. She is developing Hydrocephalus now. Her fontanel is bulging and her eyes are starting to turn down. I dont think she can see. She does not track anything. She looks heathlier that she did when we were there last. She is eating better. I dont know that there is any hope for her. The last pic is inside their house. It is also a 10 x 10 mud hut. They have a bed, table and radio. That is her big brother naked and filthy. It is so sad. Her mother became a christian after we helped Jerica. She comes to church every Sunday. Pastor says she is very bright and seems to understand all the lessons very quickly and is an eager student. She is very on fire for God right now.
The family took Jerica to a Bush Doctor. This is not a voodoo doctor but they do strange things with herbs and other remedies. When I took Jericas hat off all of this strong smelling yellow powder came out. I noticed they had a string tied around the hat very tightly.
Pastor asked her father about it. He said the Bush Doctor said that it is not fluid in her head but air. If they put the mustard seed powder on it, it would drive the air out. Pastor asked him what he believed. The father said he was not sure but his mother in law believed and he didnt know what else to do.
What a sad desperate situation to be in. I wish we could help her but I dont know if it is the best for her right now to go back to Haiti after treatment here as bad as she is. Flamanda was much more stable. We just dont know if she would be a good candidate for a medical visa.
The mother asked pastors wife last week for cereal for the baby. She has not much to feed her.
So many difficult situations to deal with there.
Praying,
Stephanie


1 comment:

Kristie Cerling said...

Just makes me so sad. Having two preemie babies, I am so blessed not to have to make such choices as this family. Giving an extra hug to my healthy ones. They share a birthday (my preemie ones) on the 13th! He will be 11, and she will be 4!