Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Flamanda's return home

















The 28th of Dec. I traveled to Haiti to return Flamanda to her mom. It was a very long day getting there. I had many bags and Flamanda in her stroller. I have to say that American Airlines was amazing. All the workers were extremely helpful. I have never traveled with a child before. It is challenging but everything went well. A stranger even offered me his dinner on the last leg of the flight which I gladly took since I had only managed to get a pack of crackers the whole day trying to feed and keep her happy in the airports.
I flew first class on that last leg down because when I booked my flight there was no other seat. It was amazing! I have never flown that way before. I couldnt believe how we were treated and the food and service. Definately spoiled!

Her mom was super surprised. She did not know I was comming. She only knew Flamanda was comming home that week. She as you can see she is covered with mud. She had a big bucket and had been gathering mud to patch their mud hut. What a life. I cannot imagine. It was dark by the time we arrived. I left her with a few supplies and returned the next day to give her everything else we had brought for Flamanda and her brother. They live in a 10ft x 10ft sq mud box. Everything we brought filled up half her house. There was a small bed and a table, that was it. When I arrived the next day she was doing laundry in basins by hand. Again I cannot imagine. She said Flamanda had a difficult time falling asleep that night, she just kept looking around in the dark. Im sure it will take her a while to readjust to being home.
We left her mom with lots of food and formula. We hope she transitions well to Haitian food.
Thanks for all the prayers for her. It was a great honor to be a part of her journey from beginning to end.
Steph





No comments: