Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sendy

Sendy was the little baby with Hydrocephaly that I met on my first day ever in Haiti Sept. 11, 2007. Her mother had brought her to His Home For Children Orphanage and has given her up for adoption. For quiet a long time I searched for care for her before I even knew what I was doing with Hands That Heal. We had been told that the neurosurgeon in Indy would do her case and Tom and I were going to keep her for 6 months. I thought it was a done deal, we would most likely fall in love with her and adopt her possibly. Well as often happens that was not Gods plan. The surgery fell through and we did not get her. Later she went to Ohio and had a shunt placed. She returned to Haiti and still does not have an adoptive family. She had been doing very well until this week. I received word that she was ill and then got an email from Hal Nunguester that runs the orphange as follows:

Hi Stephanie, Sendy was doing well, then, about 3 weeks ago she started running a fever. She responded well to rocephin, but as soon as we took her off she started the fever again. She also started leaking puss out of her belly button. One day, after several days of rocephin she just leaked yellowish spinal fluid out of her belly button and Chris immediately took her to the neuro doc. He did some xrays and deternined that the tube to her shunt was infected. On Wednesday the removed the shunt and tube. She started vomiting that night and had continued to have vomiting problems since the surgery. The doc initially thought that it was a reaction to the anesthetic (sp?) but now they are not sure. She is to remain in the hospital over the weekend and they hope to release her on Monday. She will need shunt replacement in about 3 weeks when the infection is all cleared up. We have a team coming in from Children's Medical in Miami and hopefully they will do the shunt surgery. If not, the neuro doc said he could do it for $2,000, but he does not have the shunt or tubing in country and would need to procure that also. The current charges are $500 plus we are accumulating around $15 per day for private nursing coverage, which is required. Medications and all included we are looking at around $1,000 right now and probably around $3,000 in three weeks unless the Miami team does the surgery and then we only need to pay the private nursing for about 5 days plus medications which shouldn't be over $500 total. She is a pretty sick little girl right now and really needs all of your prayers. Blessings!!!Hal Nungester Port Au Prince, Haiti

I still dont know why things happened the way they did in her case. I pray for her and think of her often, especially when we had Shnaider and Sabrina living with us. I still have a closet full of clothes for her too. I know God's plan is always right but I cant help think we missed the boat on her and what God was asking us to do. Many people were praying that we would adopt her.
Since I have been back from this trip my mind has been swimming with all the issues related to Claudine and Sendy and the countless children starving and suffering there, unable to get help they need.
If anyone feels lead to donate to Sendys care you can go to www.hishomeforchildren.com

Praying,
Steph

1 comment:

keefer said...

Hey I hope that you and your family have some peace soon for this little girl.I know exactly what you mean with "missing the boat",I have to believe that God knows what is best for us and his will is best.I will keep praying for you and for that little girl!