Monday, September 7, 2009

Flamanda



The top picture was in April when I first met Flamanda. I had met her mother on a previous trip to Haiti. She brought her to the clinic where I was in Chambrun to be seen. We knew she had hydrocephalus at that time. After some consideration Pastor Pierre felt that he should help this family as I had offered to try to find someplace for her to have surgery through Hands That Heal. The mother has been bringing Flamanda to church faithfully praying for her to get better and for us to find someplace to help her. I felt that the surgeon in Indy would do her case. Sabrina came along at that time and we were desperate to find help for her as well. He accepted Sabrina which we were so thankful for but now cannot accept Flamanda or another charity case until next year. I just found this out a few weeks ago. Since then we have forwarded her information on to many surgeons and I have been calling hospitals. I have not been successful yet in finding anything for her.
Pastor sent me this new picture tonight. I have been so upset since seeing it. I knew she was getting worse but this is the first new photo I have seen since her passport pic in June. I cannot believe how huge her head is getting so quickly and it will only continue to grow. I feel very sad, confused, frustrated and helpless. I know her mother and pastor are counting on me to help her and I am failing her. I cannot imagine being her mother in Haiti. They live in a very poor area. They have no way to help her. How helpless she must feel. How can what I feel even compare to that.
I know we wont be able to help every child we come across with Hands That Heal and God's ways and timing are perfect but it is so difficult. Why couldnt I have just scooped her up and brough her here in April? Why does she have to suffer like so many other children in Haiti? Why cant I find help for her? I will continue to make calls to doctors and hospitals in hopes that her life can be saved. I know God is asking this of me. I dont know why he has put the burden of these children on me. It is so hard. Flamanda has a normal size brain and could have such a good outcome if we can find help for her soon.
I am praying that God will show us his mighty power and that he is bigger than all of us. I will be in Haiti Oct 13th for a week. I am praying that I can bring her back with me. I know that nothing is impossible with God. We would need to find a hospital and surgeon in the next week or so for us to have enough time to get the necessary paperwork together for this to happen.
Please pray with me for a miracle for her.
Steph

No comments: