Saturday, August 15, 2009

When Sabrinas Mom Came


This post was taken from part of Rhyan's blog (she was there when Sabrina came to the orphanage) from when Sabrinas mom came to visit her in the orphanage. I thought I would share it. I am so happy that she came back to see her and was able to share a moment with her daughter. Notice her shirt says "love".

Steph



So far the journey toward a medical visa has been rough. Because of the diagnosis Sabrina was given by the doctors here in Haiti, we have not been able to find a doctor in the States willing to take her case. It is taking time to secure a doctor and time is something Sabrina does not have. As her fluid increases and her head swells more, Sabrina has begun suffering from seizures. Had she been born in the United States Sabrina probably would have had the surgery she needs within 48 hours. Every day she waits is one day longer for this fluid to leak, it is one more day that her brain is compressed. Sabrina needs this surgery now and so I am asking all of you to pray unceasingly for Sabrina today. None of us know if Sabrina will survive the road that is ahead of her but all of us know that she is worth the effort to get her there. Many evenings after supper I go into the high care nursery and sit with Sabrina I can’t pick her up, but I hold her little hand and I pray. It is my hope that in those moments Sabrina can feel that she in loved. I hope that in those evenings Sabrina finds the drive she needs to keep fighting.I am being as realistic as possible in this situation, while still knowing and trusting that my God can do anything! I know that it is a true possibility that Sabrina will not live. I know that at any moment she could die, but I also know that if that happens Sabrina will die with dignity. She will be surrounded by people who love her, a far cry from the outhouse she could have ended up in. Sabrina has already touched so many. Four days ago a mother came to our door to visit her child. When I asked her who she came to see she told me she was “mama Sabrina” Sabrina’s mother had come! When she was dropped off Dixie told Sabrina’s family that mama would need to come to sign papers to relinquish parental rights of Sabrina. They said she would not come because she did not want to see or touch the baby. Dixie assured them that she would not have to see her, just fill out the paperwork and be finished. When I came to the waiting room where Sabrina’s mother sat she told me she had decided that she wanted to see her baby! When I brought Sabrina downstairs and sat down next to her mother her eyes filled with tears, at first I thought it was because she was so upset but then she said softly, “she looks like me, look at her face, it is just like mine” Love at first sight between mother and child. A moment I will never forget. Sabrina’s mother then asked if she could hold her and for several moments she sat cuddling her baby and sharing her words of love. What an amazing change God did in this woman’s life! Before she left I took a picture of her holding Sabrina and printed it for her and as she walked out the gates holding back her tears, she clutched in her hand the photo of her firstborn.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing this touching story. It's good to know that Sabrina had a special moment with her birth mother.